Thursday, January 16, 2014

Tinie tempah

While this blog post has nothing to do with Tinie Tempah (Patrick Chukwuemeka Okogwu), the award-winning English rapper, it has everything to do with tempeh, the fermented soy product that originates from Indonesia. 

But first, a little Tinie Tempah!  


 

Tempeh is super high in protein, calcium and iron, as well as isoflavones, but very low in fat. It has more "oomph" than tofu, as it is more textured and substantial, and has a slightly nutty flavour.

Now that I'm "one of those people" I thought it only natural that I start eating tempeh. 

 not so much

 closer

I actually started eating it because I remember feeling fantastic after trying it a few years ago. It is the only food I have ever eaten that literally gave me energy right after eating it (as opposed to making me want to take a disco nap).

After perusing the net for the "best tempeh recipe ever" I settled on my own - as usual. I fried some red onion on olive oil and added diced carrots, turnips and peas, as well as sliced tempeh. After adding salt, pepper, cumin, turmeric and garam masala I doused the entire thing with coconut water, covered and simmered for 10 minutes. 

When I removed the lid I had tempeh curry! Wooot! 

I added a tablespoon of peanut butter as well as a healthy dash (!) of hot sauce and covered the whole healthy thing for another five minutes before serving (to myself!) with a sprinkling of fresh basil.


 



2 comments:

  1. My friend from deli bluem made a salad once with the tempeh on top and it was so delicious! So I can only imagine how wonderful your curry must have tasted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks polly! i love the sound of deli bluem!

    ReplyDelete